Saturday, July 31, 2010

Wizard Rock!


Lauren and Matt of Armored Bearcub

Kristina and Luke of ALL CAPS


So this summer I had the opportunity to see my first wizard rock show! I was actually able to see not one, but TWO shows. First up was seeing the tour called ROFLCOPTOUR which featured such bands a The Moaning Myrtles, The Whomping Willows, The Parselmouths, Armored Bearcub, and ALL CAPS.

I guess before I start telling you about the concerts, I should tell you what wizard rock is. It's music that is based on the book Harry Potter. The thing about wizard rock isn't so much about the actual music, it's more about the community. It's this group of loving, supportive, and amazing people who all share a love of a young wizard who saved the world. It spans the entire globe and all 50 states. It's brought forth an amazing charity organization called The Harry Potter Alliance who through this mutual love has helped bring awareness of the genocide in Darfur, brought books to citys and towns that have lost their libraries, and sent FIVE planes full of supplies to Haiti after the earthquake.

It's this great movement to making the world better by being kind, nice, and showing love. After all it was Dumbledore who said "The weapon we have is love". It's something that the whole of the wizard rock movement has adapted to their lives and it's something I truly believe in too.

Anyway, the first concert I went to was in Cody, WY. A VERY long drive away from where I live. My roommate Lisa and I drove 8 long hours to get to a show that was AMAZING. I met people who's music I've been following for about 3 years now.

It was an eventful trip. Driving home Lisa and I got hit by a deer (this is Wyoming after all) and had to stay in a sort of gross hotel in Riverton, WY. Yeah, it happened and it was crazy. It was amazing to meet Kristina and Lauren.

My second show was -Luckily- this time in Salt Lake City and it the headliner was the first Wizard Rock band I ever heard The Remus Lupins. It was an amazing show. This tour was called The Next Great Adventour. The bands playing at this one were The Remus Lupins, Skyway Flyer, and Gred and Forge. I had never heard anything by Gred and Forge previously but I LOVE them, well actually Jarrod. He's the only actual member of the band. The most amazing thing though was Alex knew who I was. I was touched that he would remember me in the sea of people who follow him and that he's undoubtedly met. I think when I mentioned that I used to sign all of the post I would put on his myspace as "Your biggest fan in Utah" helped, but it was still sweet he remembered me.

All in all it was so much fun to get to see them play live. I don't know when I'll have time again to see them. But I was glad it happened. Wizard rock is love. Love is all powerful.


Meeting all the Wizard Rock Boys!

Quote of The Day
"California dorks
We’re unforgettable
Disneyland like
Four times a week
Sunkist soda pop
and Flux Capacitors
Ohohohohoh Oh Ohohohohohoh"
-California Dorks by Jason Munday

2 comments:

N said...

Dude, rock shows inspired by Harry Potter? How have I not heard about this?! Awesome!!

Jarrod - G&F said...

Glad you had fun!